Why you can never have too many kaftans
With charismatic and effortless silhouettes, kaftans suit all body types and are perfectly versatile as wardrobe staples. Worn by celebrities like Angelina Jolie, Operah Winfrey, Miranda Kerr and many in between, the kaftan continues to win ground (or space) in wardrobes across the world. Inspired by Johnny Was, we are this week sharing the hottest tips and tricks on how to best dress your kaftan, while shedding light on why you just can’t have too many of this beautiful and elusive garment.
Theresa McAllen, who dreams up some of your favorite kaftans for Johnny Was says “It is great as a beach coverup but can easily transition to dinner”. “I love wearing kaftans because they always have the spirit of vacations and travel but we can integrate them into our daily lives,” she adds.
Dress it up!
- The dressier the occasion, the longer your kaftan should be. Imagine yourself entering the room, glamorous like kaftan lover Nicole Richie in her beautifully printed floor-caressing kaftans - stunning!
- As one of the beauties of these gowns is their often intricate and unique decor over the chest and back, it’s advisable to skip the necklace and instead choose bold earrings or boho bracelets. Cat Hammill bracelets works a treat!
- Complement the silhouette with a small purse, ideally matching a colour or detail in your kaftan.
- Pick strappy sandals or high heels to complete the outfit.
Lounge it down!
- The kaftan should be your go-to when it comes to the perfect holiday cover up. Mid-thigh to just above the knee is usually a best length.
- Pick a quick dry fabric like cotton or linen for the pool or beach when you might be wearing swimmers underneath.
Layer it up!
- For work, choose a mid-length kaftan with solid base colour and understated ornamentations.
- Layer with leggings, jeans or a plain dress and low key boots.
- For weekends and casual looks dare to go more adventurous with details, colours and embroidery and use strappy sandals for the finish.
So have fun! Kaftans can be used for many occasions and you can never have too many as each will express a different charisma and mood.
Now in our Bowral store; sizzling hot new arrivals from the Master of Kaftans, JOHNNY WAS! (Sneak peek below). Welcome in to treat yourself, and for personalised styling tips, please speak with our experienced stylists in store.